Pre-motherhood & before I became a freelancer, I enjoyed getting dressed for work so much! I can still remember how hard it was for me to transition from heals & fabulous outfits for the office every day to a way more casual style. It took me about two years to get my head around my new (dressed down, casual) dress code when we had Oliver. These days I even own two pairs of sneakers, which is something that was totally not on my radar prior to motherhood!
If you work from home, then you might know how easy it is to become complacent or to stop caring about how you look. I have experienced this first hand.
So today I’m welcoming my friend Antoinette Chorlton back to the blog. She is an international fashion stylist & consultant; founder & owner of Glamour on the Go Fashion (GOTG) Style Agency. Antoinette is an original South African gal who now lives in Abu Dhabi with her hubby & two gorgeous kiddies. You might remember the easy style tips that she shared over here.
But today we’re zooming in on work-from-home style (for moms). You might have guessed that Antoinette also works from home, so she is the perfect lady to tell us why style matters. She will also share some tips & some of her own style.
“It’s easy to get lazy with your style & fashion choices when you work from home, often of the mindset that you are not working in a physical office & don’t need to get dressed for it. Add to the mix the responsibilities of a busy mommy, & all your closet hopes & dreams are out the window…
“Yes, your style will be much less formal than for a corporate office, but even though you are now more casual & relaxed, you still need to try.
Why you still need to make an effort:
- You will feel much better. When you feel good you automatically look good. You will start the day prepared & organised which ultimately leads to being much more productive.
- You will be ready for any situation, like an unexpected client meeting, school appointment, an errand to run or a trip to the mall without having to ‘get ready’.
- You still need to treat your job as an actual job & not just a hobby, therefore you need to look & act the part. Take your job seriously.
- It doesn’t mean that because you are a mommy working from home, your style takes a back seat. Make an effort & set an example for everyone around you.
- If you take yourself & your job seriously, other people will too. Remember: dress how you want to be addressed.
What does an outfit for a busy mommy working from home look like?
- Simple, stylish, elegant, comfortable & practical. What you need to look put-together & professional, but at the same time comfortable & practical is a well cut, fitted pair of dark denim straight leg jeans with a gorgeous top. Then add a pair of stylish flat shoes, a statement piece of jewellery like a necklace or earrings.
- In cooler weather, you can add a smart suit jacket, perhaps a kimono or even a trendy bomber jacket & trainers. Another great alternative is a comfortable dress in a colour & a print of your choice with some fashionable trainers or espadrilles.
“Remember that your style & fashion choices will change & doesn’t need to be fussy or complicated. By just adding simple elegant pieces to your everyday working closet you will look professional, smart & stylish, yet comfortable & more relaxed.”
Thanx for sharing your wisdom, Antoinette! Please show some love & follow Antoinette’s Glamour On The Go on social media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Polyvore, YouTube & also on her blog.